Botox is injected into the muscles mainly in the facial area to reduce lines. Generally administered to patients between the age of 30 and 65.
Here are some facts and figures of interest:
- The treatment on average lasts 4 months.
- 49 is the average patient age.
- 91% of patients see improvement within a week.
- €300 is the average price for a Botox treatment.
- 15 minutes is the average length of time for a Botox treatment.
- 30% of patients are under 30 years of age
In the 1960s doctors used Botox to treat neurological disorders, namely uncontrollable eye movements. They discovered an interesting side effect purely by accident – softened frown lines.
In 2000 Botox was approved by the FDA to treat cervical dystonia – neck and shoulder contractions.
2002 Botox was approved for frown lines and in 2004 it was approved for excessive underarm sweating.
Americans alone spend $10billion per year on Botox treatments.