Unfortunately for the vast majority of people, wrinkles are inevitable in the natural aging process. As the years go by, time takes its toll on the skin making it thinner, drier and less elastic. These are the main reasons that cause wrinkles and lines to appear at the surface of our skin. While no one can escape them, the age at which they occur varies from individual to individual.
Even though they are a natural process, there are several factors that are known to hasten the wrinkles’ occurrence:
1. Genetic makeup – Our genetic inheritance is a really important factor that determines how wrinkled a person will be and how soon will the lines start to show up.
2. Exposure to UV light – Ultraviolet radiation speeds up the natural aging process, therefore causing early wrinkling. Exposure to UV light affects the collagen and elastin fibers in the dermis causing a decreased flexibility and strength.
3. Light skin – The sun damage on people with lighter skin usually tends to be more pronounced, this accelerating the wrinkles’ development.
4. Smoking – The unaesthetic lines on our skin can be another effect, among many, caused by smoking. Studies show that this is due to changes in the blood supply to your skin.
5. Facial expressions – Whether it’s smiling or frowning, repeated facial expressions will, eventually, develop fine lines in those particular areas. While people are young, the skin springs back, but as they get older, the skin loses its elasticity and the springing back process is hampered.